Who Governs the Utilities?
The City Council represents residents and businesses in Anaheim and is made up of Anaheim's mayor, who is elected at large, and six City Council members elected by voters in their districts.
The Anaheim City Council appoints a 7 member Public Utilities Board to makes recommendations to the City Council concerning the operation of electric, water, and other public utilities under the management of the Public Utilities Department.
Public Utilities Board Responsibilities
- Make recommendations concerning the establishment of rates, rules, and regulations for the operation of the electrical and water utilities of the City.
- Make recommendations concerning the acquisition, construction, improvement, extension, enlargement, diminution, or curtailment of all or any part of the electric, water and any other public utilities under the operation and/or management of the Public Utilities Department.
- Recommend financing, including the issuance of bonds for the electric and water utilities.
- Review annual budget of the department and make recommendations accordingly.
- Establish a Public Utilities Hearing Board composed of 3 current members of the Public Utilities Board.
- Perform other related duties as outlined in the Municipal Code and such additional duties and functions as may be required from time to time by specific action and direction of the City Council.
4th Wednesday of each month
Anaheim West Tower
201 S Anaheim Boulevard,
2nd Floor Gordon Hoyt
Anaheim, CA 92805
There is no compensation for being a member of the Public Utilities Board.
Members serve for 2 consecutive 4-year terms and may not concurrently serve on 2 or more City boards and commissions.
Members are required to complete and file, with the City Clerk, an annual Statement of Economic Interest, Form 700.
Scheduled and unscheduled vacancies are advertised by the City Clerk. Applicants must complete and submit their application online at City of Anaheim: Board Application (granicus.com).
Applicants will be forwarded to Council for their consideration. At an agenized Council meeting, nominations are made from the Council floor and voted on by Council.
- Anaheim City Charter §§900
- Municipal Code §1.04.700-730
- Ordinance Nos. 3557(§1); 5397(§1)
- 5774(§24). [5851 and 6066]